Neck pain is a common problem among adults. While it is mostly benign, it can be very uncomfortable. Sometimes neck pain is an indicator of a more complex underlying problem that needs to be treated by medical professionals. If your neck pain is unbearable, you should consider getting it checked by a doctor. Having neck pain is a common problem and can be linked to various lifestyle habits that may cause a stiff neck. Such pain can be reduced by some simple exercises.
Reducing the neck pain with exercises is a great way of treating it at home. It can act as first aid to your neck pain and possibly reduce it too. Preventing the neck pain with exercise will ensure that the muscles in your neck become stronger and you don’t get the uncomfortable neck pain often. But if you already have neck pain, talk to a doctor to make sure that exercise won’t make the pain worse.
Keeping your back straight is essential for any exercise and stretches that will help relieve neck pain. These stretches will help in getting rid of the neck pain with exercises:
Forward and Backward Tilt
This exercise can be done anywhere, even while you are sitting down or working. Keep you back straight for this.
- Start with your head right above your shoulders and lower your chin. Hold it for 15 to 30 seconds and then slowly lift your head back to its original position.
- Raise your chin up towards the ceiling and make your head lightly touch your back. Hold this position for 10 seconds and bring it back to its initial position.
- Do this exercise daily and do as many sets as possible.
This exercise is best when done standing up. Stand up straight with your feet close.
- Raise your shoulder straight and move your shoulders forward in a circular motion. Do it 6-8 times.
- Bring your shoulders back to their initial position and repeat the circular motion going backward this time. Do this 6-8 times.
This exercise can be done while seated or while standing up. For this exercise. keep your back straight and place your head squarely above your shoulders.
- Turn your head to the right till you feel a stretch in your neck and shoulder. Hold the position for 15-30 seconds.
- Slowly, bring it back to its original forwards facing position. Repeat the above action, turning your head to the left this time.